web messenger facebook messenger purchase instant messaging software

PASİFİK İNGİLİZCE 0 312 432 32 43 – 506 153 56 25

21 Mart 2013 Perşembe

MODAL CHART (CAN,MAY,MUST,HAVE TO,SHOULD)


MODALS-SUMMARY-1 

CAN
Present abilityMary can play the piano.
PossibilityJane can come back early today.
PermissionCan I take your umbrella?
RequestCan you open the window, please?
Negative present deductionShe never speaks English. She always speaks Turkish. She can’t be a teacher.
Conditional Type I
If you study hard, you can get a good grade.
with the verbs of perceptionCan you hear the noise in the class?
COULD
past abilityJane could swim when she was six.
requestCould you bring me a cup of tea, please?
permissionCould I borrow your car, please?
gentle doubt or possibility for the present and futureWe have got enough time we could go for a picnic.
İn reported speech instead of canMary said, “I can play the piano.
Mary said that she could play the piano .
In Conditional Type IIIf she sent me a postcard, I could write back.
MAY
PossibilityJill may come over this weekend.
PermissionMay I smoke here?
In Conditional Type IIf he studies hard early, we can pass the exam.
Hope, faith, wish and curseMay all your dreams be true.
In the phrase “may as well”I may as well help you finish the homework. I have finished mine.


MIGHT
PossibilityIt might snow at any time during the day. We can’t be sure.
PermissionMight I use your pen?
In reported speech instead of mayMary said, “I may go on holiday this week”
In Conditional Type I  IIIf she is here, she might call. If they visited us, we might go out for lunch.
In the phrase “might as well”You might as well go out.
MUST ObligationHe must finish his homework.
Present affirmative deductionAll the lights are on. They must be at home.
MUST NOT ProhibitionYou mustn’t smoke here.
NEED 
NEEDN’T 
QuestionNeed I go out for shopping?
Lack of necessityYou needn’t get up early tomorrow. It is Sunday.

OUGHT TO Moral obligation and dutyYou ought to be ashamed of yourself.
AdviceYou ought to see a doctor.
Strong probabilityIf they sent the letter yesterday, the postman ought to bring it at any minute now.
Logical deductionJane worked hard all the year round. She ought to go on holiday.
SHOULD Obligation and dutyWe should obey our teachers.
AdviceWe should listen to our teachers carefully.
Logical deductionMike is from London. He should know London very well.
Strong probabilityIf she studied hard, he should pass the exams.



SHOULD
in conditional sentences(weak probability)If you should find her address, please let me know.
in subordinate clauses after “in case” (weak probability)I’ll do my homework in case the teacher should come to class tomorrow .
after certain verbs and adjectives in a subordinate clause with the meaning of something must be doneThe doctor suggested Sam should have an operation.
in reported speech instead of “shall” in the first person interrogativeHe said, “Shall I open the door?” He asked me if he should open the door.
personal reaction to eventsIt’s natural that she should laugh at him.
SHALL in the future tense for the first personI shall repair the car tomorrow. We shall study French next year.
determination in the first personI shall eat what I like. I don’t mind what my doctor says.
determination, promise or threat in the second and third personI shall  finish the letter today.
in offers, suggestions, requests and adviceWhat shall we do at night?









WILL in the future tense for all personsI will watch a film at the weekend. He will wash the car at 8.
willingness, promise and strong determination in the first personI will give up smoking.
strong determination in the second and third personHe will go to the cinema although his father doesn’t give permission to him.
orderNo one will use this telephone.
habitShe will go to bed early. She is used to doing for years.
invitation and offerWon’t you have a cup of coffee?


WILL
requestWill you open the window, please?
predictionI think you will like it.
WOULD requestWould you draw the curtains, please?
past habitsWhen I was at primary school, I would finish my homework at night.
in reported speech instead of “will”She said, “I will send her some presents tomorrow.
She said that she would send her some presents the following day.
in Conditional type IIIf I were you, I would visit her.
willingness after “I wish” and “if only”I wish my mother would talk less.
If only you would come home early.
refusal in the pastShe wouldn’t listen what I told her.
DARE in negative and interrogative sentencesDare you telephone her?
indignationHow dare you play football in the classroom?
in the phrase “I daresay”I daresay she will telephone you today.
USED TO past habitsHe used to play football.
She used to have a Mercedes.







 

MODALS-SUMMARY-2

OBLIGA TION
NECESSITY 
You
He They
must
have to
had to
ought to
should
do it.
ought to have
should have
done it.
ABSENCE OF NECESSITY They
You
needn’t have        
don’t have to
haven’t got to
didn’t have to
didn’t need to
hadn’t (got) to

do it.
WARNING  
PROHIBITION 
You
He
They
oughtn’t to
shouldn’t
had better not
mustn’t
aren’t to
smoke here.
shout .
eat much.

ARRANGEMENT She
He
will
is going to
is to
was to
be getting ready today.
come to us tomorrow.
arrange a party.

Willyoube studying English?
PROMISES 
REFUSALS 
Iwill
won’t
help you.
clean the room.
Youwill
visit us.

OFFERS 
INVITATIONS 

ShallIcarry your parcel?
turn on the lights?
clean the room?
Wouldyoulike me to open the door?
like me to turn on the lights?
like him to visit us?
Will
Won’t
have a seat?
have some tea?
CanIhelp you, sir?
carry your parcel?


POSSIBILITY He
She
can/could
may/might
will
be a burglar.
be a doctor at the door.
could havebecome ill.
come back earlier.

PERMISSION May
Might
Can
Could
Would
I
go out?
go to bed?
come in?
He
You
can
may
come in?
REQUEST Can
Could

you
come this way?
pass the sugar?
Would
Will
please come this way?
please pass the salt?
ADVICE 
You
should
ought to
had better
eat less.
study hard.
shouldn’teat anything fat.
shouldn’t havedone that.
told a lie.

HABIT Hewill
used to
would
speak too slowly.
get up early when he was at a student.
PREFERENCES Iwould rathergo by bus.
you went by train.
have dogs than cats.
PROBABILITY Shemay
must
should
be angry.
be at home.
be sleeping.


EXPECTATION 
DEDUCTION 
He
She
Ali
Mary
ought to
should
will
Come back by noon.
answer the questions.
win the reward.
mustbe sleeping.
be tired.
should be
should have
arriving here now.
arrived here by tomorrow.
DETERMINATION 
WILLINGNESS 
Iwill
would like to
do my best to get a licence..
live as I like.
won’t
shall not
will never
cause another accident again.
You
He
willstay at the hotel.
Willyoudo the homework this weekend?

ABILITY Ican
am able to
do it by myself.
could
was able to
do it by myself when I was a child.
ORDERS Youcan / mustdo it as I have told you.
are to
shall
mustn’t

try it again.
Do it again,
will
you?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder